Sunday, September 13, 2015
I must be a trial to my right-wing Facebook friends.
Get Your Facts Straight!
- I can usually restrain myself from correcting grammar and
spelling on line, but errors of verifiable fact (who, what, when, where) make
me insane. So if you list President Park
as the leader of North Korea, I'm probably going to post a one-liner saying
she's the President of South Korea. If you confuse Saudis with Iranians, or
Samoans with Hawaiians, or say everyone who lives in Asia is Chinese, I'm
probably going to say something. I might even post a map. If you say that
Donald Trump is the richest man in the world, I might post a link to the Forbes
list, Yes, it is annoying. But not half as annoying to you as ridiculous
inaccuracy is to me.
Church and State
- I firmly believe your church should stay out of my
government and my government should stay out of everyone's place of worship.
- I don't care if you worship Allah or Zenu or anyone in
between, if it works for you, it works for me.
- But if you make a secular commitment
to do something and take taxpayer dollars for doing it, then later decide that
it conflicts with your religion, just quit.
No one should attempt to make you violate your beliefs, but we also
shouldn't pay you to not do your job.
- I think any two adults otherwise qualified to do so should
be able to contract a civil marriage.
- But I don't believe any bona fide house of worship should be
compelled to perform or host the ceremony if it violates the tenets of their
- I think caterers and bakers and videographers who make a big
stink about not wanting to service clients whose beliefs are different than
theirs are self-serving attention-seekers. We all know that there are better
and less antagonistic ways of discouraging clients you prefer not to service.
Trust me, once the gay community discovers that you do a lousy job when you
don't feel comfortable with the client, no one will be lining up at your door
begging you to service their same-sex wedding.
- OTOH, folks, all couples have every right to ask their
wedding vendors, "Have you ever provided services to a __(Black/ same-sex,
Hindu/ Islam / Interfaith/ whatever) ___
event before? Did you have any problem
providing your standard services for that event?"
- And if they anticipate issues, just say TYVM and leave.
- No harm, no foul, no lectures, no lawsuits,
- Don't feed the trolls.
- They WANT you to give them money, and they want the attention for being "heroes and
- Don't give them the
- These rules do NOT apply to non-religious venues, only
professional services. Sorry catering halls, restaurants, and hotels. You open
your doors to the public, you have to serve the public. Been the law for 50+
- I think the only people whose voices should have sway in a
doctor's office are those of the doctor and the patient, assuming that patient
is an adult and mentally competent.
- I think it is not only right, but VITAL for people to have a
clear understanding with their next of kin and physician of their thoughts and
desires when it comes to issues of end of life and advance directives. It's not
morbid, it's practical and kind to the people you love.
- One can be pro-choice without being pro-abortion. I know categorically that I could never have
chosen an abortion for myself, but I will fight anyone who tries to legislate
away my right as an adult citizen to make that decision for myself.