Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Sisters, friends

Sometimes sisters can be best friends. I know people like that. My mother and her sister were probably like that.

That wasn't my own experience. Growing up, my sister and I were both too different and too caught up in the sibling rivalry thing for that to happen. By the time we were old enough to perhaps have gotten past it, she was killed in an automobile accident, so we'll never know what might have been.

Sometimes friends can be sisters in all but biology. I do know enough about sisterhood and friendship to talk about this one. It is rare and precious when you find it.

When we were 8 or 10, friendships were so important, so passionate, so vital, so urgent. Then we grew up, discovered the opposite sex and work and money and a million other things and frienships got back burnered, or got morphed into "business relationships" "contacts" "associations" and precious few adults I know put real work into friendships.

It makes you cherish the ones that do.

So, for my friends who have gone the extra mile lately when I've been going through a tough patch, I just wanted to say out loud that I love you, I appreciate you, and I'd even share my
favorite blue barrettes and my really good chocolates with you. :-)

But asking for the red shirt with the white buttons might be pushing your luck. Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?